Monday, July 7, 2008

Crocheted Butterfly Jewelry

I have been crocheting since I was 8 (36 years now) and a friend taught me during recess in the 3rd grade. It made me very sad when carpal tunnel syndrome kept me from crocheting for a few years, but I found a way to alter my crochet hooks so I can crochet again. I do a lot of other crafts, but crocheting has always been my first love, so to be able to crochet again makes me happy!

I am a flight attendant. I had to do something to keep my mind and hands occupied, so I started crocheting butterflies. My butterflies have been through a lot with me - from mechanical delays, to weather delays, to cancellations. My butterflies have been crocheted on the ground and in the air, in hotels, airports, and on planes. From Halifax to Edmunton to Denver to Miami to Washington DC - and everywhere in between - you can find me crocheting butterflies.

Crocheting butterflies has helped me keep my cool when having to deal with disruptive passengers, deal with stress during difficult situations, stay awake in the wee hours of the morning, and keep my hands busy when there's absolutely nothing to do. Crocheting is also very homey-feeling and it helps when I'm away from home and miss my family.

Passengers and other crew members always seem amazed that I can hold conversations with them while crocheting a butterfly, and that I can look at them while talking to them, and only look down at what I'm doing occasionally.

I love taking a hook and thread and making something that looks like nothing, then I fold it, do one more stitch, and all of a sudden, like magic, it's a butterfly.

I made matching necklaces and earrings for myself with the first bag of butterflies I went home with. I have so much fun putting together color combinations with the butterflies and beads and trying different combinations of chain lengths and findings. Friends and family started commenting on my jewelry, I gave some away, and sold some more. That's how my butterfly jewelry business began.

If you buy a piece of butterfly jewelry from me, either for yourself or as a gift for a loved one, know that each butterfly is crocheted with love and care.

No comments: